Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Best Cough Medicine

O.K. so my kids seem to get coughs a lot. So I have tried almost every cough syrup out there. I have tried Delsym and robutussim from the supermarket, and Chestal honey, Eldertussin Elderberry syrup, sambucol, and few others from the health food store. I have also tried to make a few myself.
Anyway here is what I have found that works for my family (my kids especially).
-You can rub Mullein oil and/or Dr. Christopher's Anti-spasmodic on their chest.
-Original Ricola (you know the square ones) are the best cough drops.

or

-Make your own cough medicine. It is amazing that in about 30 minutes and for about $2.50, I made 1 quart of cough syrup. Which is, by the way, too much. So I will give you the halved recipe.

Dr. Shook's Cough Medicine

1 oz. marshmallow root
1 oz thyme
2 cups distilled water (I used filtered water)
1 lb brown sugar (honey can be substituted)

Slowly simmer marshmallow root, thyme, and water until reduced by 1/2. Strain, press, and return to pan. Add sugar, simmer 5 more minutes. Skim foam as it rises. Store in glass jar in the fridge. Makes 2 cups. For children use 1 tsp. for cough.

So there you have it. I hope this helps someone out there like it has helped me and my family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is marshmallow root readily available at the health food store? I just might give this a try! I copied the recipe onto my list at least ;)

MIchelle said...

Yes, Janelle, you can usually buy marshmallow root and thyme in the bulk section the health food store.